I wish I was one of those people that could say they don’t drink, or don’t like the taste of alcohol, but sadly I am not.
I spent my uni years working in bars and can’t deny I love a cocktail. In first year, my best friend did the honourable thing and started dating one of the staff members in Be at One. From then on the staff became some of our best pals and we ended up there every night out. (If any of you are reading this I miss you all so so much!). I’m like a connoisseur to the menu and can confirm that a Cuban Zombie is the key to any great night.
Enjoying fitness and enjoying a drink are not mutually exclusive, you can do both. But like anything, just don’t be a dick about it. The good thing about these is that they’re a really low calorie option to treat yourself to without the worry of hidden ingredients. You can even try and make them with sweetener, but I’m not stooping to that just yet ?
Because most of us don’t have a load of random cocktail ingredients lying around the house and to be honest I’m not entirely sure what constitutes essential items anymore… here’s an easy breezy recipe I’ve whipped up.
You will need:
? 2 x 50ml white rum
? 1 bottle soda water
? 2 tsp Demerara sugar
? 3 tsp granulated sugar
? boiling water
? 1 passionfruit, halved
? mint leaves
? 1 lime
1. First things first, mix the granulated sugar with 4tsp boiling water (ish) in a mug and leave to the side. You’re basically creating a simple sugar syrup. If you want to omit sugar for sweetener – this is where to do it.
2. Place 3 wedges of lime in the base of each cup and add 1tsp Demerara sugar per cup.
3. Split the sugar water mix between cups and use the end of a rolling pin to crush the lime and sugar up in the bottom.
4. Add the seeds from 1/2 passionfruit to each cup.
5. Fill half with ice. We ran out so I crushed some cubes with the rolling pin to break them up – but I’d probably chuck a load in a blender to lightly crush it.
6. Add two mint leaves to each cup and pour over a double shot of white rum (50ml).
7. Top up with soda water, add a straw and stirrrr. I swear by my beaut @bare_kind8 metal straws kindly #gifted by my pal Jeff who owns the company ?
I’m not normally the biggest fan of mojitos, but these went down so well after a day in the sunshine. Next on my list to try is a sangria cocktail or Piña Colada, so keep your eyes peeled!